Serviette / Napkin Fold cards definitely have the WOW factor! They are made from a single sheet of cardstock that folds inward to form a kind of pouch that would be perfect for hiding a gift card or some money. You can decorate the card with co-ordinating pieces of patterned paper and an embellished belly band to hold everything together.
1. Start with a sheet of cardstock measuring 11" x 11". Score at 23/4" and again at 81/4". Turn the cardstock 90 degrees and score again at 23/4" and 81/4".
2. Fold and crease along each score line. Your cardstock should look like the photo below.
3. Find the centre point of the cardstock by measuring 51/2" from each edge toward the middle. Mark the centre with a small dot.
4. Fold each corner into the centre. Notice how my score lines line up as I fold.
5. Open the cardstock out again. It should look like the picture below.
6. Now it's time to fold it up. Start by pushing in on one side. Hold down the large triangle with your fingers, then bring the corners of the cardstock back into the centre. Do this on all four sides. (I practiced this step with printer paper a few times before I got the hang of it.)
7. Now take one corner and fold it backward, lining up all the edges and points. Crease well, and repeat for the remaining three points.
8. You've now finished creating the base card. All that's left is the decorating... the fun part!
9. To decorate, you'll need three sheets of co-ordinating patterned paper. One that measures 5" x 5" and two that measure 43/4" x 43/4".
10. Start with the paper measuring 5" x 5". Use your trimmer or a craft knife to cut from one corner to the other so you end up with two large triangles.
11. Cut both triangles in half again so you end up with four smaller triangles. Set them aside.
12. Cut the two 43/4" x 43/4" pieces of patterned paper in the same way so you end up with four triangles from each sheet of paper. Now cut each of these small triangles once more so you have eight tiny triangles from each sheet of paper.
13. You should now have four large triangles and sixteen small triangles.
14. These triangles will fit perfectly inside each of the creases you made on your card, with a little border around the edges. If desired, ink the edges of your patterned paper and cardstock before you adhere them together.
15. Cut a 51/4" x 51/4" piece of neutral cardstock for the centre of the card. This is where you will add your handwritten message so make sure the cardstock you use isn't too textured or dark in colour. Add a stamped image and sentiment then adhere to the centre panel of the card with double sided tape.
16. Create a belly band from 12" strips of cardstock and patterned paper. You can make the band as wide as you like. I cut a 2" strip of vanilla cardstock, a 1" strip of red cardstock and a 3/4" strip of patterned paper for my band.
17. Fold the band around your card to get the correct measurement. Overlap and secure the ends at the front of the card.
18. Embellish a little disc or tag to cover the join and add some extra strength to the band.
19. Fold your card and slip the band over to keep everything together. Done!
Photos and written instructions are
copyright Beccy Muir 2013.